Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday Motivation - Piet Mondrian - Painter

As I looked at my work area today, I saw the small pieces of colored glass sitting on the gridded work surface and I thought about the paintings of Piet Mondrian.  When he attempted to explain his artistic theory, he said this: "I believe that it is possible that, through horizontal and vertical lines constructed with awareness, but not with calculation, led by high intuition, and brought to harmony and rhythm, these basic forms of beauty, supplemented if necessary by other direct lines or curves, can become a work of art, as strong as it is true."  You see, I've been having a bit of a hard time with inspiration the last couple of weeks.  Everything I do seems too calculated or formulaic.  This week, I'm going to let Piet be my guide and I'm going seek out that harmony and rhythm through my own sense of awareness and intuition.  Hopefully, I'll have some good results that I can share with all of you soon. (Above: Piet Mondrian, Lozenge Composition with Yellow, Black, Blue, Red, and Gray, 1921, Oil on Canvas, 60.1 x 60.1 cm, Vertical axis 84.5 cm, The Art Institute of Chicago)

No comments:

Post a Comment