Sunday, January 18, 2009

Trying New Things - Marketing with Project Wonderful

This past week I devoted some time and energy toward finding new ways to market my business, Art's Desire.  For months I had speculated that, while I was getting OK traffic to my Etsy shop, I needed to do more to get my jewelry out in front of a new audience.  With that in mind, I started this blog and joined Twitter.  Both were fairly easy to do and have brought some new traffic to my shop but will take some time to build up readership and really take off.

Then I decided to join Project Wonderful.  For those of you unfamiliar with this service, the simple explanation is that they broker online ad space through an auction process instead of a per-click basis.  This took a bit of a leap of faith from me because I wasn't too sure I would be able to run a successful ad campaign on my own.  But after watching a video from the ever helpful Tim Adam, I decided nothing ventured, nothing gained.  His tutorial is a step-by-step guide that shows you how to set up a full-blown ad campaign, rather than simply purchasing an ad here and an ad there.  

So, I made myself a little ad with my Valentine heart (see post below) and set up a campaign to run from Thursday night through Saturday night.  I set my criteria so that I wouldn't spend more than .02 cents on each ad and $5 on the whole campaign and let 'er rip.  After the first day I'd only had about 5 actual clicks on my ad and was a little disappointed.  So I changed my settings to spend .05 cents on each ad and saw marked improvement.  The campaign ended yesterday and I've gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the results for the first time.  My ad was viewed over 44,000 times, clicked on 57 times and I only spent $3.12 for the whole campaign. 

What would I do differently?  Well, I'd start out bidding on .05 cent ads.  I think this brought me a better return on clicks and put me on some better quality blogs.  I'd probably also change up my ad to be a little more enticing.  We all know a picture is worth a thousand words and I think if I spent a little more time on my ad design, I'd get some better traffic.  Did I get any sales from this?  Not yet, but I did get the increase in traffic I was looking for and they were all new customers.  All in all, I'd say I'm glad I did it and I'll definitely do it again!

1 comment:

  1. I'm on Etsy as a photographer, and I tend to look at the goods people are selling through the quality of the photos which present them. I think you are right that a picture is worth a thousand words. A great pictures is worth 1000 times more. Glad you are enjoying your new quest!

    ReplyDelete